Talk about a foodie's dream client! Today we're sharing all of the details of our website design project for Harlem EatUp! and if you're a fan of the Food Network you're definitely going to see some familiar faces! Harlem EatUp! is a New York City festival that celebrates some of Harlem's best food, music, art and culture. The festival was founded by one of NYC's fav chefs, Marcus Samuelsson and Herb Karlitz, President of Karlitz & Company. Heading into its third year, the team was looking to freshen up the look of the website and make it more visual and we were just the team for them to partner with and make it happen!
After two really successful years of the festival in the books, one of the key design needs for this project was to bring the event to life with all of the photos and videos from the previous festival. We'll tell you, it wasn't too hard to showcase how awesome this event is too! From pictures of Carla Hall and participants having a dance party, appearances from Harlem residents Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka, and dinners hosted by Emeril Lagasse, Marcus Samuelsson, and Bobby Flay, there's no doubt the festival is definitely something you don't want to miss in the city!
- Create visual experience with photo and video assets
- Create profiles to showcase festival participants
- Create ad banner for festival sponsors
- Integrate event feature with Eventbrite ticketing
- Include map features on event pages
- Make website easy to update after launch
To highlight visual assets while hitting key points of festival we built the website with a parallax one-page homepage. This allowed us to give an overview of the event, some of the featured participants at this year's festival and link to the event schedule and ticketing option.
Something that is so awesome about the festival is that it's really focused on highlighting talent in the Harlem community. There are three different components to the festival.
- Harlem Dine Ins: The Harlem Dine In dinner series are hosted at a variety of Harlem restaurants and are hosted by celebrity and local NYC chefs.
- Ultimate Grand Tastings: Did someone say all-you-can-eat-and-drink!? The Ultimate Grand Tastings are a ticketed festival event where you will get to have unlimited samplings of some of Harlem's favorite restaurants.
- Marketplace & Main Stage: The marketplace and main stage are free events that feature pay-as-you-go options from some of Harlem's favorite restaurants and vendors. Also going on at the festival are live culinary demos and performances!
To highlight each, we designed a participants page separated by category to create a user-friendly experience in learning about who is participating this year.
From the participants page, users can click on each profile or search the participants to learn more about each. On each page you'll also see event listings that link back to the event pages that each are participating in.
Another key component of the website was... the Events page! On this page we made it easy for Harlem EatUp! to highlight featured events in the slideshow banner and also in the featured event section. Then we also added buttons for each category as well as dividing the website by category so that it's easy for users to browse the different types of events that are going on and to find more info on each.
If users click on the category buttons they will then land on a page listing all events in that category and highlight a preview for each.
From there, users can click on each event to find out full details including event info, the participants for each, the ticketing feature, sponsor info and location! Covering the who, what, when, where and how!
We really enjoyed working on this website not only because we're SO looking forward to checking out the festival, but also because we got to really take advantage of some of Squarespace's features to build a complex site with a lot of moving pieces. The platform is so versatile and there are so many options for what you can do and this project totally showcases that! If you want to check out the site or score tickets to this year's festival (DO IT it's going to be so awesome) check out the link below!